Hey City Group leaders, I hope you had an awesome Fourth of July weekend! Are you looking for an OUT? City Groups, would you be interested in joining up with Habitat for Humanity and being a part of the Faith Build? They need volunteers to help with painting, landscaping, and just about anything else in-between. They are trying to fill the schedule for every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday in July. This is a great opportunity to partner with a great team in our community and be the hands and feet of Jesus. If you have any questions, call text, or email Tyler Mass 402-490-5509 Tyler@CitylightCb.org.
Ice Breaker: What are some rhythms and routines that mark your family? Matt said, “part of being a Fremstad family member, you acknowledge any dog you see” …
Read the Scripture together out loud: 1 Peter 2:4-10
- What word or verse stood out to you? Why?
Sermon Summary: If you’ve invited someone to Citylight or someone has invited you, it’s most likely that someone gave you insight into what it was going to be like and how to make the most of your experience. That same principle is what Peter is trying to communicate in 1 Peter 2. Peter has the experience with Jesus and being in the family of God. He’s using word pictures and images to communicate to the new Christians of his day what life is like belonging to God’s family of people. In today’s passage, the word pictures Peter uses are the temple and the priests. “When you are a part of God’s family, you are a Holy House, and you are a Body Builder.”
God used to dwell in a tent, then in a temple. But Jesus changed all of that. We’re now a personal, portable, and permanent dwelling place of God. Jesus replaced the old temple with Himself, and we are like mini temples that God longs to live in. You are a holy house.
- Do you see yourself as a temple by which God dwells? Why or why not?
- What is something that has changed in your life as a result of God residing in you?
- What does it mean to live a good life?
- What good deeds in your life do non-Christians see?
You are a living stone built into the holy house of God. As living stones, you have an inside role in helping build this holy building project that is made of people giving glory to God, restoring what was broken, and putting things back in order.
- How does being chosen by God for a special task as a bodybuilder make you feel?
- Where in your life do you feel you have something to “bring to the table” in God’s building project?
- How did/do God and people treat the living Stone of Jesus differently? How do you relate to the cornerstone of the Holy House that God is building?
- Where in your heart are you prone to reject Him?
- Where is God asking you to be a witness? Where might God be asking you to distribute resources to those in need?
Pray it out!